Located on the site of a former feed mill, Cherapa Place is proud to be the catalyst for future river-front and east bank development. From the demolition of this feed mill and a fundraiser surrounding the event to the construction of this beautifully designed and environmentally conscious building, Cherapa Place is truly a wonderful addition to the community. We chose to use the LEED metric through the USGBC. Here’s why: LEED means high performance Green Building which is why it’s the rating system of choice for thousands of businesses, government agencies, educators, homebuilders, and other organizations nationwide. The LEED Green Building Rating System is a voluntary, consensus-based rating system for the design, construction, and operation of high performance green buildings. LEED was developed by the US Green Building Council, the nation’s leading nonprofit, working to transform the building industry to sustainable practices.
Cherapa LEED Highlights
- + Native grasses as landscape to almost eliminate watering requirements
- + Use of local materials such as quartzite from LG Everist - This reduces travel costs and helps the local economy.
- + White Roof and Green Roof. We’re the first in South Dakota to have a vegetated roof.
- + Low E Glass - the amount of glass used allows for optimal views and daylight access for our employees. We are using a high-test glazing on our windows for optimum energy efficiency
- + Waterless Urinals in the men's room
- + Toilets that offer a choice in water flow depending on if it's solid or liquid waste
- + Certified Wood - The wood in our building comes from environmentally certified forests
- + Direct/Indirect sensor lighting
- + Preferred parking for Hybrid vehicles
- + 80% of construction waste has been diverted from landfill. It’s been recycled.
- + Education, tours, and speaking engagements - We have made a commitment to spread the word about LEED